Terms of reference – Data Analyst
The Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association (EMEA), independent regional think tank based in Barcelona is hiring a Data Analyst to support and perform research activities linked to EMEA’s ongoing initiatives and projects.
EMEA serves as a leading independent and innovative economic policy research institution and forum for debate on the political and socio-economic reforms in Mediterranean with an opening door to Africa with the aim to promote sustainability, inclusiveness, and regional economic integration and prosperity. It strives to contribute to the rethinking of the Euro-Mediterranean in view of the new dynamics of an emerging multi-polar world. Striving to contribute to the rethinking of the region in view of reform processes in the political, economic and social agendas of Mediterranean countries post financial crisis and Arab spring, EMEA develops new scientific concepts, initiatives and projects promoting sustainability, inclusiveness, regional economic integration and prosperity.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- To assist the Scientific Director and/or other EMEA Researchers in collecting, updating, organizing, analysing and managing large data files and summarising findings;
- To provide technical expertise on data storage structures, data mining, data cleansing and visualization;
- To prepare specific reports, summaries, analyses and contribute to EMEA deliverables;
- To support other research activities linked to EMEA’s key research priority areas including but not limited to: socio economic sustainable development and regional integration;
- To participate in EMEA projects meetings, events and workshops when required for completing the specific research activities;
- To provide assistance to the scientific coordination of EMEA’s ongoing initiatives and projects.
Qualifications and competences required:
- Master’s degree (Mathematics, Statistics, Economics and Finance, and Computer Sciences or equivalent)
- Experience with data collection and analysis combined with an excellent command of Excel and Stata and other programming languages (SAS, Matlab, R or equivalent).
- Demonstrated experience in methodologies and processes for managing and organising and managing large-scale databases.
- Understanding of addressing and metadata standards.
- High-level written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent command of English (C1), both orally and in writing.
- Good knowledge (B2) of at least one of the following languages: Spanish, French, Italian, Arabic.
- Team player, strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, autonomy and sense of responsibility, strong time management skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and travel abroad if required.
Qualifications and competences desired:
- PhD in a relevant field
- Work experience as a data analyst or in related field.
The salary will be in accordance with the qualifications and the previous experience of the selected candidate.
The successful candidate must hold a valid work and residence permit in Spain.
This is a one-year full-time contract, renewable with six months probation period.
Further questions/enquiries regarding the position can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application and deadline:
Applications should include a one-page letter of motivation and a curriculum vitae in English. For the CV, please use the Europass template (https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/). Both documents should be emailed to email@example.com with “Data Analyst Application – First Name and Last Name” in the subject line by 15 February 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide a writing sample on the topic of their choice.
Starting date: 1 March 2020