Terms of reference – Research Assistant
The Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association (EMEA), independent regional think tank based in Barcelona is hiring a Research Assistant to support and perform research activities linked to EMEA’s ongoing initiatives and projects.
EMEA serves as a leading independent and innovative research institution and forum for debate on the political and socio-economic reforms in Mediterranean with an opening door to Africa with the aim to promote sustainability, inclusiveness, and regional economic integration and prosperity. It strives to contribute to the rethinking of the Euro-Mediterranean in view of the new dynamics of an emerging multi-polar world. Striving to contribute to the rethinking of the region in view of reform processes in the political, economic and social agendas of Mediterranean countries post financial crisis and Arab spring, EMEA develops new scientific concepts, initiatives and projects promoting sustainability, inclusiveness, regional economic integration and prosperity.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- To conduct research primarily on the EU-Africa partnership with an emphasis on the EU Development Aid;
- To conduct other research activities linked to EMEA’s key research priority areas including but not limited to: economic development, regional integration, sustainable development, management of resources and adaptation to global warming;
- To assist the Scientific Director and/or other EMEA Researchers in collecting, analysing data and summarising findings;
- To participate in EMEA projects meetings, events and workshops when required for completing the specific research activities;
- To provide assistance to the scientific coordination of EMEA’s ongoing initiatives and projects;
- To participate in international research teams working on specific priority issues in terms of the Euro-Mediterranean affairs and the EU-Africa Partnership;
- To prepare deliverables, reports, summaries, analyses and other documents;
- To cooperate with and to support the Project Manager when required..
Qualifications and competences required:
- Master’s degree (Economics, Political Sciences, International Relations, or similar) with good knowledge on Euro-Mediterranean affairs, in particular socio-economic developments, regional integration and sustainable development.
- Experience with data collection and analysis combined with an excellent command of Excel and Stata.
- Familiarity with qualitative methods (i.e. questionnaires, stakeholder interviews, summarizing results of primary data collection exercises)
- Ability to conduct empirical analyses on selected topics.
- Excellent command of English (C1), both orally and in writing.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to conduct literature reviews.
- Good knowledge (B2) of at least one of the following languages: Spanish, French, Italian, Arabic.
- Team player, strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, autonomy and sense of responsibility, strong time management skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and travel abroad if required.
Qualifications and competences desired:
- PhD in a relevant field (Economics, Political Sciences, International Relations, or similar) with good knowledge on Euro-Mediterranean affairs, in particular socio-economic developments, regional integration and sustainable development and EU-Africa Partnership.
- Knowledge on the EU’s multi-level governance, international regulatory cooperation, EU’s Development Aid, foresight and scenario development.
The salary will be in accordance with the qualifications and the previous experience of the selected candidate.
This is a two-year full-time contract, renewable.
Further questions/enquiries regarding the position can be e-mailed to email@example.com
Application and deadline:
Applications should include a one-page letter of motivation and a curriculum vitae in English. For the CV, please use the Europass template (https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/). Both documents should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research Assistant Application – First Name and Last Name” in the subject line by 20 January 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide a writing sample on the topic of their choice.
Starting date: 01.02.2020